The instructions here work pretty much without modification.
The only tweak I made was to how I installed the shiny package. From Terminal, I ran R as root (
and then installed shiny using something like
install.packages('shiny', repos='http://cran.rstudio.com/', type='source', lib='/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library').
Specifying the type as
source ensured that I got the latest version of the package (the binary was a little older) and specifying the library location
ensured that it went into a system-wide location (for some reason even with
sudo R, R wanted to install in my user directory).
Oddly enough, my first application was a simple lookup for my database. But it seems to work nicely.